There may be times when making decisions as a public health professional runs contrary to the decisions you would make for yourself. It is important to understand that decisions made in accordance with public health ethics do not affect one’s freedom in making a personal choice, but that these decisions do affect stakeholders, communities, or populations with whom you are working.
An important attribute of a public health professional is the awareness of one’s personal values and ethics and an ability reconcile these with professional ethics. In order to develop this skill, it is important to reflect on personal values and ethics and examine how these can be at odds with public health ethics.
For this assignment, reflect on your personal values and ethics and evaluate where personal ethics or values may conflict with, or be challenged by, public health ethics. Discuss the implications of decision making in this situation and examine strategies to enhance your ability to make unbiased and ethically sound decisions for the diverse stakeholders or communities served. In 750-1,000 words, discuss the following:
- Discuss how your personal cultural competence and personal bias affects your ability to make ethically aligned public health decisions for stakeholders, communities, or populations. In what situations are your biases or values challenged?
- Consider the implications of personal behavior in social media or in a social forum by a public health professional. What are the implications of personal behavior (what was said, posted, or claimed) when it contradicts public health ethics or public health information? What is the consequence if the content disparages a group or population?
- Explain why unbiased and ethical decision making is significant to underserved and racial/ethnic minorities. Discuss strategies that you can employee as a public health professional to serve diverse populations and promote health equity with empathy and humility.
- Discuss a Christian worldview as an ethical framework for supporting human rights in a manner that leads to respect and social justice for others. Discuss the implications of a Christian worldview that conflict with professional expectations. What are the consequences for social justice?
- Consider what challenges you may face as a public health professional. Discuss the strategies that you can use to enhance your ability to make unbiased and ethically sound decisions for the diverse stakeholders or communities.
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
BS Public Health
5.6: Examine methods for serving diverse populations and promoting health equity with empathy and humility.